October 9, 2007

My Mom Hearts Flickr


My Mom's no techie, but she's the one who got me started with Flickr. She takes all kinds of photos, edits them in Picasa, then uploads them to Flickr. And she uses Flickr to communicate with people all around the country based on shared interests. It's cool to see how people who aren't advanced computer users can get creative and involved with technologies like Flickr.

I think the great power of Flickr lies in the ability to share visual information. Seeing something makes it come alive in a way that just reading about something does not quite do. My family likes to use Flickr to share photos since we live so far from each other. It's nice to be able to see the pictures while talking on the phone (or on Skype). No, it's NOT the same as being there in person, but it's still pretty great.

It's cool to see the ways different libraries use Flickr to share their resources. See an example of the ways libraries use Flickr to showcase parts of their collection and bring it to life here:
Palos Verdes 40 Families Project

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for recognizing that I have grown technologically, photographically through Flickr, and, hopefully, as an individual as a result of these things ...

My favorites that I have photographed are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96683394@N00/sets/72157602297035940/

I am using a new Canon Powershot G9 now which has 12.1 megapixels, a 6 zoom lens, and lots of excellent technology ... the pictures look better, more well-defined and vivid .. I edit, as Jess notes, with Picasa and now with Picnik.com ...