In the meantime, I created a NetLibrary account, which was not too difficult. I enjoyed browsing the collection by subject and sorting the results by "Newest First." Another nice feature is the ability to change the language of the interface (to Spanish, for example).
I did find that once I was in "Browse" mode, it was difficult to find my way back to "Search."
Other limitations:
- can't check book back in when finished, must wait for the checkout to expire
- not currently available for Mac/iPod, which is what I use personally
- downloads take a really long time (depending on your connection). This, of course, is relative. It actually takes longer than a few hours to get your book if you need to go the library physically and pick it up, or wait for another borrower to return it, or buy it from a bookstore, or order a physical copy online. But, I didn't have several hours to wait for the "CD quality" download so I chose "Radio Quality." It sounds fine.
Now I have the file for 21 days on one computer, but since my portable device is an iPod, I'm stuck with listening on that computer. I'd like to try out the process of transferring the file to a portable device, but that will have to wait.
Overall, I think this is a promising start, and I hope the difficulties will get resolved over time as consumers (users, libraries) voice their needs.
1 comment:
Want to know what I downloaded? It was The Sportswriter by Richard Ford. I read (and loved) Independence Day and The Lay of the Land, but had unfortunately missed reading The Sportswriter. So, now's my chance (within 21 days, of course).
Post a Comment